After failing pre-fight medical screening, Yoel Romero was forced to withdraw from the Bellator Light Heavyweight World Grand Prix.

Yoel Romero was pulled from his May 7 promotional debut against fellow newcomer Anthony “Rumble” Johnson, ending the most awaited first-round matchup of the eight-man Bellator MMA Light Heavyweight World Grand Prix.Romero (13-5), a former two-time UFC middleweight title challenger, failed pre-fight medical examination and was forced to withdraw from the tournament, according to Bellator officials who spoke to CBS Sports on Thursday (Bellator and CBS Sports are both owned by ViacomCBS).

The essence of Romero’s problem has not been revealed. The promotion said it would appoint a tournament alternate to face Johnson (22-6) in his quarterfinal bout as soon as possible, but it’s unclear if that fight will still be on the bill, which is just eight days away. Bantamweight champion Juan Archuleta will face Sergio Pettis in the main event of Bellator 258 from the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut (Showtime, 9 p.m. ET). Johnson, a two-time UFC light heavyweight title challenger, had been slated to fight in the co-main event, with the winner advancing to the semifinals against reigning 205-pound champion.

KEEP READING:  'Good always defeats evil,' says Khabib Nurmagomedov in response to Poirier's TKO of McGregor

Elina Raven is an author and content writer for maxblizz. Elina completed her graduation in MA Screen Production - Screenwriting and Documentary at the University Of the West Of England, Bristol.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.