We all know what happened to the Ben Affleck-directed Batman movie. Affleck lost interest in his own Batman movie after the troubled shoot for Justice League.
Speaking to the New York Times, the actor said, “I showed somebody the Batman script.” He added, “They said, ‘I think the script is good. I also think you’ll drink yourself to death if you go through what you just went through again.'” The New York Times also revealed Affleck made a decision to step down “after deciding that the troubled shoot for Justice League had sapped his interest.”
What Is The Plot Of Ben Affleck’s Batman Unreleased Movie?
Slade Wilson, a.k.a. Deathstroke, breaks Lex Luthor out of prison after the events of Zack Snyder’s Justice League. Lex Luthor then invites him to his Monaco yacht. Slade is informed here that the identity of Batman is none other than Bruce Wayne, which is key information in helping him kill the Dark Knight. Slade Wilson lost his son, and he blames Batman for his death. Through the course of the film, Slade systematically dismantles Bruce’s life. He destroys Bruce’s finances, and he targets those who are close to him. Murder and mayhem are caused to pin Bruce into a corner with a slow and painful vengeance.
The film’s script is written by Affleck and Geoff Johns (rewritten by Chris Terrio). The film stars Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne / Batman, Jeremy Irons as Alfred Pennyworth, Joe Manganiello as Slade Wilson / Deathstroke, and Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. In an interview with Yahoo! Entertainment, Manganiello said, “It was a really dark story in which Deathstroke was like a shark or a horror movie villain that was dismantling Bruce’s life from the inside out.” Manganiello added, “It was this systemic thing: he killed everyone close to Bruce and destroyed his life to try and make him suffer because he felt that Bruce was responsible for something that happened to him.”
As per a Reddit source, r/DC_Cinematic, the film’s key elements are:
- Arkham Asylum was supposed to serve as the main location for the film, and it is rumored that it would have featured cameos from Batman’s rogue gallery (including Jared Leto’s Joker, as also rumored)
- According to cinematographer Robert Richardson, this film was going to be a psychological exploration of Batman with very dark elements
- There was supposed to be a big battle between Batman and Deathstroke in the film that was heavily inspired by the Batman: Arkham Origins Official Trailer
- Barbara Gordon, also known as Batgirl, was supposed to play a key role in the film. The final battle of the movie would have been a big showdown between Deathstroke and the duo of Batman and Batgirl in the streets of Gotham
- Alfred was also supposed to die in the movie, as confirmed by Zack Snyder’s Justice League 2 plans
- Deathstroke is described to have been like a “shark” throughout the film.
RELATED: Exclusive: Ben Affleck’s Batman Scenes Were Removed From Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom