The Super Mario Bros. Movie has made the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office. The film is the 11th animated film to achieve this milestone and the first animated film to do so since ‘Frozen 2‘ in 2019.
Top 10 Animated Movies Grossed $1 Billion Worldwide
- Frozen II (2019) – $1.450 billion
- Frozen (2013) – $1.276 billion
- Incredibles 2 (2018) – $1.242 billion
- Minions (2015) – $1.159 billion
- Toy Story 4 (2019) – $1.073 billion
- Zootopia (2016) – $1.023 billion
- Finding Dory (2016) – $1.028 billion
- Despicable Me 3 (2017) – $1.034 billion
- The Lion King (2019) – $1.657 billion
- Toy Story 3 (2010) – $1.066 billion
- The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023) – $1.021 billion
Directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic (collaborators on Teen Titans Go!, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies) from a screenplay by Matthew Fogel (The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Illuminations’s Minions: The Rise of Gru), the film stars Chris Pratt as Mario, Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach, Charlie Day as Luigi, Jack Black as Bowser, Keegan-Michael Key as Toad, Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong, Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek and Sebastian Maniscalco as Spike.
As per the plot, a Brooklyn plumber named Mario travels through the Mushroom Kingdom with a princess named Peach and an anthropomorphic mushroom named Toad to find Mario’s brother, Luigi, and to save the world from a ruthless fire-breathing Koopa named Bowser.
The film is produced by Illumination founder and CEO Chris Meledandri and by Shigeru Miyamoto for Nintendo. The film will be co-financed by Universal Pictures and Nintendo and released worldwide by Universal Pictures.
‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ will be available to buy or rent on platforms like Amazon Prime Video, Peacock, Google Play, and iTunes on May 16, 2023.
Source: The Numbers and Universal Pictures
RELATED: Jack Black Wants Pedro Pascal To Play Wario In ‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie 2’